Educated by Tara Westover was the title that our book club read for January. I’m no expert on book club (at all), but I thought I’d share the questions and discussion topics we used to lead our talk about the book.
If you haven’t read Educated, I highly recommend it. I awarded it 5 stars on my Goodreads account. Maybe not for the most expertly written book, but for the story and how it impacted me personally.
- What was your overall impression of the book? How many stars did you or would you award it out of 5?
- What are your thoughts on Tara’s father? Did you like or dislike him? Did that change throughout the story?
- How did you feel about Tara’s mother? Did you feel that her mother stood up for her enough? Do you think this was impacted by Tara being the youngest?
- How do you feel that things would have worked out for Tara if she hadn’t developed a relationship with her brother Tyler? He is credited for introducing her to music and learning. Do you think she would be where she is today without him?
- What frustrated you the most about what took place throughout the story?
- While going to college, Tara took psychology classes, which gave her a deeper insight to her own life. What do you think about Tara’s realization that her father was suffering from a severe mental illness? Do you think it effected how she managed her relationship with him after?
- How do you feel that the telling of this story may have impacted Tara’s real family?
*This blog post contains affiliate links.