Doorstep Facelift

I can’t seem to find a good before photo of the doorstep, so sorry for that.

To start with, I thought I’d pressure wash the old stain off of it, but that didn’t really work. It didn’t take much of the paint off, and it splintered the wood in some places.

So, I used a sander instead. It took me a really long time to do, and in the end, Casey helped me with a good chunk of it. I found it painful on my hands and fingers to use the sander for long periods of time. I started out with a finer sanding paper but realized that it would be more effective to have a more coarse one so I bought some of that. It made things quite a bit easier.

Next I stained the boards. I found a stain I liked and actually did it right last time. In case you were wondering, I painted the steps myself last time too, and I didn’t know how to use a stain, so I ended up just straight up painting the stain on. The results this time were much better.

Next I painted the vertical boards white. It took 3 or 4 coats to make them look good. I replaced some of the decor I had on there before, but decided that it looked a bit too cluttered.

The final product, though I might add some more bouys, and maybe next year a nice fern or something. I couldn’t get my hands on one this year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *